Monday 22 February 2016

T1W7 – Science Update

1) Diversity of Animals
Pupils have been introduced to 6 groups of animals - Amphibians, Birds, Fish, Insects, Mammals and Reptiles last week.
For this topic, pupils are expected to be able to state the characteristics that each group of animals have eg. amphibians have moist skin, birds lay eggs etc. and be able to apply that knowledge in answering questions, eg: in comparing the similarities and differences among the different animal groups.
Pupils were also taught how to draw concept cartoons in their Science Journals for this topic. Through their drawings, pupils are able to make their thinking visible. This also allows me to check on their understanding for the topic. Drawing a concept cartoon is a good way of getting pupils to revise on concepts covered previously.

2) Science Toy Project
Pupils were taught how to make an introductory toy boat in class last week. To promote the idea that toy-making is a continuous process of making and tinkering (to improve the toy), I have also introduced the CEDAR Idea Generator to pupils.

C – Combine : Eg. What ideas can I combine together to make my toy better?
E – Eliminate : Eg. What can I remove from my toy? Can I make my toy smaller / slower?
D – Displace : Eg. What parts can I substitute/replace in my toy to further improve on it?
A – Adapt : Eg. How can I improve on my toy so that it fits another context?
R – Reverse / Rearrange : Eg. How can I rearrange various parts of my toy to make it better? Can I do something to change the movement of my toy?

Points to note:
·         The actual Science toy should only be submitted after the March holidays, by 28th March 2016 (Monday). Pupils should jot down their starting ideas on Milestone Check (1) and submit it to me by Thursday, 25th February. Feedback will be provided to pupils.
·         Please remind your child/ward to refer to the rubrics (attached with the school letter given previously) when he/she is generating ideas for the project.
·         As the Science Toy project is a part of Science formative assessment, all pupils are expected to submit their milestone checks and toys by the given deadlines.

Ms Natalie Chan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please indicate your name at the end of your comments. Be proud of what you're saying (: